I am in absolute disbelief that today is my first day of my third trimester with my second baby. Time is absolutely flying by! My “nesting” instinct has fully kicked in over the past few weeks and we are 100% caught up on our baby prep to-do list. Just in time, since I can slowly feel the uncomfortable feelings of the third trimester creeping in. While I’m feeling good, I thought I would stop in quickly to give you guys an update!
How I’m Feeling:
I’m feeling pretty good! However, by the end of the day I’m absolutely wiped both mentally and physically. Overall, this is to be expected and I can’t complain too much!
Physically, I feel like staying active has been the key to maintaining the energy I need to make it through my days. At the end of June I hit my 100 camp goal at Burn Boot Camp and I was very proud since the 90+ of the workouts were done while pregnant!
Over the past two weeks or so, I’ve scaled back my workouts to ~3x per week and I eased into my third trimester. This little man has been breech and resting on my hips, which caused some strong hip pain over the last several weeks. I’ve started skipping core days and modifying my workouts, eliminating any jumping or exercises that put pressure on my hips or core. I’m also hoping to add prenatal yoga to my routine a few times per month soon.
Listening to my body has been key and I’m feeling much better the last few weeks, minus the fact that I’m absolutely spent at the end of the day.
Mentally, I tend to go through phases of feeling overwhelmed, but I have been able to channel those feelings for good and have made major progress prepping for this little guy. In general, time is passing so quickly that it tends to help me slow down and enjoy my time, since the days of being a family of three are fleeting.
My main symptoms this time around have been hip pain, heartburn seemingly from nothing (crackers gave me heartburn the other day!) and exhaustion. Not too much to complain about!
Cravings and Aversions:
My main cravings this time around are similar to my pregnancy with B! My #1 craving by far is lemonade. I’ve also loved basic foods like sandwiches, pizza and have had a major sweet tooth. (To the point where I’m a little nervous about my glucose test next week!) There’s not much I have been adverse to eating, however most times either nothing sounds good or I want something super specific.
Baby Prep Updates:
We made a ton of progress on our baby prep list the past few weeks, due to the fact that we realized how close I was to starting my third trimester. I wanted to knock out all of the heavy lifting while I was feeling good, and I accomplished that!
- Over the past month or so we’ve updated B’s room, cleaned out his closet, went through all of the baby stuff we saved and ordered anything we needed. Last week our mail carrier worked overtime and we received 2-3 Amazon boxes per day. By the end of the week, we had everything we need ready to go! I organized things one by one as they came and even washed the newborn clothes. All that’s left of our nursery prep is to re-build the crib, lay out the area rug and other furniture and decorate! (Here’s my sports-themed nursery inspiration, in case you missed it.) In the next several weeks, we’ll pull out our baby swing and bassinet. Other than that, things at home are ready to go!
- We also handled a lot of the major logistics during my second trimester. I submitted my leave to my insurance, created my maternity leave plan at work, registered at the hospital, put the baby on the wait-list at daycare, talked to family and friends about caring for B while we’re in the hospital and Rich talked to his work about his leave.
- This Friday we are getting updated family photos taken to document this stage of life. And on Saturday, B is taking a “big sibling” class at the hospital where he’ll learn how to help care for a newborn and tour the hospital.
Overall, this pregnancy is moving a lot more quickly than last time and the logistics are similar but different. I’m looking forward to slowing down the next 12 weeks as I tie up loose ends and enjoy our time as a family of three.
Flashback to my last pregnancy:
- Day-in-the-Life: 27 weeks pregnant
- How Pregnancy Taught Me to Let Go and Live in the Moment
- Second Trimester Favorites