I’ve always loved the energy at this time of the year. Growing up, I would spend hours finding the perfect school supplies, carefully labeling each folder and notebook for each subject.
One year, I specifically remember taking my Mom’s Family Fun magazine and mapping out my lunches for the first week of school. I made a list, made my Dad take me grocery shopping and prepped elaborate meals for myself.
Inevitably, at some point in the year my intentions would lose their luster. I would make it through, but start thinking about the next year and dream up new goals to set.
Over the years I’ve learned to set more realistic expectations for myself, but needless to say I still find motivation in a fresh start. After a particularly challenging season, it feels good to be entering a new month and I’m motivated to set some goals for myself.
This past weekend was a good reminder of the things that help keep my life full. We had full five days as a family at home and filled our time with exploring nearby towns, enjoying meals as a family, tackling small projects around the house and generally slowing things down. It felt good and gave me the refresh that I needed to find my motivation again.
What I realized this weekend is that I’m craving our routines. My goal for the month is simple: to get back to the basics. Instead of setting lofty goals for myself, I’m aiming to reinstate habits.
Here are the habits I would like to reinstate:
- Get back to our Sunday Routine of going to Church and Breakfast as a family and prepping for the week
- Prioritize sleep, calling it quits by 10:00pm every night instead of scrolling on my phone
- Instead of scrolling my phone before bed, reading a chapter of a book
- Make it to the gym 3x per week for classes I enjoy, but not stressing about doing any more than that
- Cook dinner at home most nights
- Pack breakfast, lunch and snacks most days, but not putting too much pressure on myself to be perfect
My hope for this month is that when October rolls around, this motivation sticks with me and our life will seem a bit more balanced. The routines I’m craving are what’s needed to keep me at my best and this fresh start is exactly what I need.