It’s my Birthday and I’m feeling reflective, here’s some things I learned this year. 27 to be exact.source
1. Doing a few loads of laundry one at a time is so much better than letting them pile up and have to do laundry all day.
2. The perfect heels: they exist. And it’s fine they come from a place you wouldn’t expect.
3. Working out really can be your me time if you think about all the benefits it comes with. (Time to space out and/or think, energy, stress relief, sound sleep)
4. Sometimes taking a break from your goals is the right thing to do. They will always be there waiting when you’re ready.
5. It’s ok to take time off from work, in fact, you will be more productive if you do.
6. It’s also ok to say no to things you really don’t want to do.
7. Once again, the only thing you should compare your life to is your own life. And, it’s pretty awesome.
8. Saving money to travel is so much better than having stuff. When you do buy stuff, think of it as investment
and buy something for the long haul.
9. Keep your budget lean, save money and don’t live beyond your means. Life is better when you earn the things you want.
10. Don’t engage the crazy. Drama WILL happen, but it’s your choice if you want to be a part of it.
11. Appreciate your true friends, even if there’s less of them as you get older. Quality over quantity.
12. When it comes to your significant other, communicate exactly what you need and they will listen. And while you’re at it, laugh!!! Oh, and have patience. Lots of it.
13. Ask to get your mani before your pedi. It will prevent smudging. Not sure it took me 27 years to make this request, but it was worth the wait.
14. Buy good coffee and make it at home, it’ll seem special but save you money. (we use these)
15. Rescue dogs are a lot of work but worth it.
16. In relationships the little things are what really matter. Write love notes, texts, call to say hi. It’ll make both your SO’s day and yours.
17. It’s ok to accept a plan you did not expect. Stop being so stubborn, change us good.
18. How to use a manual can opener.
19. How to attend a networking event alone.
20. Dieting doesn’t work. Eating smart does. Intuitive Eating takes time but it does happen. The French mentality is the best and something I’m always working towards.
21. How to recover from an injury. (Long story short: it takes lots of time and patience)
22. Walking is a very underrated exercise.
23. So is strength training- all those years I spent on the elliptical did nothing for me but lifting weights has changed my body.
24. Every once in awhile it’s ok to go out on the town and blow it out. That’s the key though-every once in awhile.
25. When traveling, renting an apartment is an amazing way to see a new city like a local.
26. If you’re questioning if you should ask a question, ask it. You never know where the answer could lead you.
27. Be patient with yourself. Life isn’t supposed to be perfect but the key is to keep learning. Mistakes are how you grow to become who you are meant to be. Learn from them.
What did you learn this year?