Now that I have completed the challenge for the second time, I’m ready to make this a lifestyle change. This is the first time in a long time that I’ve felt good about my eating habits. As I’ve gone further along in the challenge, I have very little cravings. I’ve also lost some weight and feel rested, energetic and healthy!
Here’s a recap of the rules and what I haven’t been eating:
- No refined grains such as white flour or white rice (items containing wheat must say WHOLE wheat…not just “wheat”)
- No refined sweeteners such as sugar, any form of corn syrup, cane juice, or the artificial stuff like Splenda
- Nothing out of a box, can, bag, bottle or package that has more than 5 ingredients listed on the label
- No deep fried foods
- No “fast foods”
And here’s what I have been eating:
- Whole foods- foods that come from nature, not a machine. These things are usually found in the parameter of the grocery store!
- Lots of fruits and vegetables- lots and lots!
- Dairy products- I drink lots of unsweetened almond milk and eat yogurt, eggs and cheese
- 100% whole-wheat and whole-grains- I’m not a huge bread eater, but I have been eating whole wheat pasta, brown rice and lots of quinoa.
- Only locally raised meats such as pork, beef, and chicken- This is one area that I did not focus on as much, but I have been very careful to buy meat without hormones and straight from the butcher counter.
- Beverages limited to water, milk, all natural juices, naturally sweetened coffee & tea, and, to help the adults keep their sanity, wine and beer!
- Snacks like dried fruit, seeds, nuts and popcorn- I’ve been eating popcorn almost every day, Rich has been snacking on soy nuts and we’ve become big fans of dates as a sweet snack in our household!
- All natural sweeteners including honey, 100% maple syrup, and fruit juice concentrates are acceptable in moderation- Honey and maple syrup have been my sweeteners of choice and I really haven’t missed sugar! I switched to black coffee early last year, but Rich has been using honey in his coffee and loves it!
For me, focusing on what I can eat vs. what I can’t eat has helped a lot. I’ve also found some creative ways to get in the foods we crave. I have a huge chocolate tooth so I’ve been making myself a “clean hot chocolate” when the urge hits me.
For Rich, I know he had been craving some junk food. As a treat on Friday night, I made us some “fried” mushrooms and zucchini by breading them and baking them in the oven. They turned out really well! Once I get the spice mixture right, I’ll post the recipe!
Also on Friday night, I made us greek frozen yogurt. (check out the recipe here!) I am someone who can eat an unlimited amount of ice cream in one sitting and this did the trick in satisfying my ice cream cravings.
Now that the pledge is over, my goal is to keep eating clean. Of course, from time to time I’ll splurge but overall I’m determined to make this my lifestyle. I’m excited to see the benefits I’ll receive by going beyond the ten days!